Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Greek Macaroni and chopped meat casserole. This may be made ahead and frozen, then defrosted and baked.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chopped hamburger meat
- 1 lb tomato puree (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ziti pasta
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- Melt 1/2 c butter over low heat.
- Add flour, stirring quickly until disolved.
- Add milk and stir constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Then add egg yolks, one at a time, stirring throughly after each addition.
- Add 1/2 c grated cheese, salt and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- Saute onion in 1/4 c butter until golden.
- Remove onions and brown meat.
- Remove excess fat from pan and return onions.
- Add tomato puree if desired and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until thickened.
- If sauce does not seem thick enough add bread crumbs until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Cook ziti according to package direcions and drain well.
- Add 1/4 c butter, egg whites and 1/8 c cheese.
- Mix well.
- Sprinkle a large lasagna pan with bread crumbs, place half the macaroni in the pan, sprinkle with 1/8 c cheese and add the meat sauce.
- Pour over the mixture about 1 c of the white sauce, 1/8 c cheese and then add the remaining macaroni.
- Cover with remaining cheese and add the rest of the white sauce.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
I love Greek food and Pastichio is one of my favorites.(I actually prefer this over lasagna) When I make it I do use the tomato sauce and I add the nutmeg to the bechamel/cheese sauce. I also add some chopped spinach to the meat for extra color, and fiber and becase I like spinach :) Thanks for posting this great recipe!