1/1 Photo of Pasteli - Greek Sesame & Honey Candy!
Um Safia's Note:
Pasteli is a traditional Greek candy made from plenty of honey and sesame seeds. Nuts, sultanas & other ingredients can also be added. Traditionally, these small wrapped pieces of pasteli are given at baptisms. If you have a candy thermometer you can use it - pasteli should be cooked until 250°F -- "firm ball stage". Cooling time not included in prep. time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan, bring honey and lemon peel to a boil. Add sesame seeds stirring continuously and continue to cook while stirring to mix completely and thoroughly. When the seeds are fully mixed in and the mixture has boiled again, remove from heat. Remove and discard lemon peel.
- 2Place a large sheet of parchment on a flat work surface.
- 3Carefully pour the honey mixture onto the paper to form a square or rectangle about 1/2" thick. Lightly sprinkle the paper with rose water & cover with half of the sesame seeds.
- 4Dip a spatula into rose water or oil and press down the pasteli then. Cover the surface with the remaining sesame seeds and press them into the pasteli with the spatula.
- 5(Instead of pouring straight onto the paper you can use a lightly oiled jelly / jam roll tin, then follow the rest of the instructions.).
- 6Allow to cool slightly - do not leave too long or it will become impossible to cut!. Once firm, cut into squares or diamonds and allow to cool properly.
- 7Wrap each piece individually in small pieces of waxed paper and store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasteli - Greek Sesame & Honey Candy!
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.4
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 37.4 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: