1/9 Photos of Pastelón (Sweet Plantain "Lasagna")
1 hr 30 mins
A lsweet Latin dish. No noodles here. Plantains are used in it's place. The plantains should be ripe with black spots. Cut the ends off then slice down the side to peel the skin off. Dawn a coworker gave me this recipe which I tweaked. A traditional Dominican/ Puerto Rican meal that's sweet, savory, spicy, cheesy, and tangy. You can add corn kernel, peas, cut string beans. This is very versatile let your imagination take over. We like heat so I added some chipotles in adobo sauce. Chorizo would be interesting in this as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil
- 6 -10 plantains, ripe with black spots, peeled and cut in half
Sofrito or Sazon
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, minced
- 2 ajies dulces, minced (small sweet chile peppers)
- 1 habanero, minced, Optional but good
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- annatto oil (coconut is my choice) or vegetable oil (coconut is my choice) or coconut oil (coconut is my choice)
- 3 lbs ground beef (make a mix of all three) or 3 lbs ground turkey (make a mix of all three) or 3 lbs shredded pork (make a mix of all three)
- 2 teaspoons powdered adobo seasoning (achiote)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, yes more
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, cut in half
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1Heat a large deep skillet add oil of choice, enough to generously cover the bottom of your pan. Fry the plantains till they are a golden and just a little crispy on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towel. Repeat until all are fried and slightly crispy.
- 2Add annatto oil to the same skillet add the ground meat of choice, garlic, onions, peppers, cilantro and or parsley, cooking over medium heat till meat is browned.
- 3Add adobo, oregano, cumin, vinegar, bay leaf, olives, raisins, and tomato sauce. Season with black pepper to taste and salt to taste. Simmer 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Butter or oil using the coconut oil from the fried plantains a 9x12 casserole pan.
- 6Place half the plantain in a single layer and press down on them to fill all gaps.
- 7Top with half the meat mixture.
- 8Sprinkle half the cheese over the meat mixture.
- 9Press the remaining plantains to flatten.
- 10Place the flattened plantains on the cheese, top with remained meat mixture then cheese.
- 11Mix the eggs with the milk. Pour the egg evenly over the the dish, let it sit for a few minutes allow the egg to soak inches.
- 12If you like cheese like i do go ahead and sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- 13Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 14Let rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pastelón (Sweet Plantain "Lasagna")
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.9
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 137.6 mg
- Sodium 213.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 24.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento-stuffed green olives