An easy and healthy recipe is from "Everyday Food" (March 2005). You can do the first three steps ahead of time. You can also replace the arugula with two cups whole fresh Italian parsley leaves or spinach or a mix of greens. If tomatoes are out of season, use canned. This can easily be made vegan by omitting the Parmesan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces plum tomatoes, cored and diced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta or 12 ounces fusilli or 12 ounces farfalle pasta or 12 ounces another short pasta
- 1 bunch arugula, stemmed and coarsely chopped (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover, and cook until onions wilt, about 20 minutes. Uncover; raise heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until onions are dark brown, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- 2Add 1/4 cup water; stir to loosen any browned bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes; remove from heat.
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover lentils with water by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender but still holding their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; stir into onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Cook pasta in a pot of salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.
- 5Add lentil mixture, arugula, cheese, and reserved pasta water; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with more cheese, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta With Lentils and Arugula (Martha Stewart)
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 310.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: