Recipe by MamaBaker
This is a very simple and quick recipe to make for those busy evenings. Several of the ingredients can be prepared the night before to make it even faster to make. I hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by CherryBerry1727
I have made variations of this same recipe a couple of times, This one was probably my favorite. I love that you can add or substitute different ingredients to change the outcome. This time I added fresh, sliced carrots and used red-bell pepper in place of the red pepper. My husband doesn't care for carrots, but it's the only way he will eat them. :D I would definitely recommend this recipe! Good luck! Thanks for sharing "MamaBaker"!
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked pasta
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 dash white wine
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta.
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add the flour to make a roux. Cook for a minute or so.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Let the milk cook with the roux for a couple of minutes until thickening begins.
- Add cheese. Let all of the cheese melt into the sauce before adding the veggies, wine, diced ham and salt/pepper.
- On low heat and stirring frequently, let the sauce cook for about 5 minutes to allow the ingredients to heat.
- Add in the cooked pasta, stir until thoroughly mixed, and serve.
- Note: I like to serve this to my husband with the same white wine I used in the sauce and usually by candlelight to add a bit of romance.