Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I use this for my children's lunches. It's easy to make and holds over well overnight. You can use arugula, watercress, or endive instead of the spinach, if you like, and, for a heartier meal, add roasted or grilled squash, eggplant or sweet peppers.
- 2⁄3 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups lightly packed spinach, washed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbles
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Stir in the pasta and return water to a boil. Cook until pasta is barely tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, taking care not to burn it. Add the spinach and water, cover the skillet and cook for 3 more minutes. When the spinach has wilted add the pasta and toss to heat through.
- Add the lemon juice and pepper and toss again. Top with feta cheese and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.