Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this recipe few years ago in a BH cookbook. The variety of peppers add a nice kick and the creamy monterey cheese sauce provide the perfect balance.
- 8 ounces spaghetti or 8 ounces fettuccine
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Cook pasta to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. In small mixing bowl combine 1 tablespoons flour, salt, and red, white and black pepper. Toss flour mixture with chicken to coat. Set aside.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat heat oil (add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Add red bell pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Remove veggies with slotted spoon to seperate bowl; set aside.
- Add chicken to skillet. Cook and stir about 5 minutes until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken to bowl with veggies.
- Stir 2 tablespoons four into drippings in skillet. Add chicken broth, milk and worcestershire. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add monterey jack, stir until cheese melts. Stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into sour cream; return all of sour cream mixture to skillet. Stir in the chicken and veggies. Cook until heated through being carefully not to boil mixture.
- Arrange pasta on individual plates or a large serving platter. Spoon the chicken mixture over pasta.
Adored the jalapeno pepper. That so reminded me that DH's usual canned pasta with a big douse of black pepper does NOT equate to cooking.
This is a great dish! My hubby usually makes it and complains it is a little bit of a hassle but as long as you have all your stuff chopped and measured out beforehand it really isn't too bad. I love the flavors and the kick to it!