Recipe by alligirl
Taken from chow. com and posted for ZWT. Originally from Aida Mollenkamp - "Even the staunchest broccoli-hater will be tempted by this pasta dish, in which the underappreciated veggie teams up with salty prosciutto and crunchy breadcrumbs. Keep these ingredients on hand for a quick and satisfying weeknight dinner." Pair this dish with a Pinot grigio with a nice body and a 'green' flavor.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Simple and delicious, this was a great dinner, and visually pleasing too. I snaffled the leftovers for myself! Loved the broccoli, and especially the toasted breadcrumbs, always so good with pasta. Thank you Alligirl, lovely recipe, made for International Agents of QUEST, Italy.
- 1 lb broccoli floret, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb dried short pasta (such as penne or rotini)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, small dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
- Once water boils, add broccoli and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, remove broccoli and plunge in the ice water bath; return cooking water to a boil.
- Remove broccoli from the ice water bath and place in a colander or strainer set over a bowl to drain.
- Once cooking water returns to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the package directions.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add prosciutto and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove prosciutto to a plate; set aside (and do not wash the pan).
- Return the pan to the stove over medium-high heat; add remaining olive oil. When oil shimmers, add garlic and shallots, cooking until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in panko and cook until toasted and golden brown, about 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Return pasta to the pot and place over medium-low heat. Add reserved pasta water, broccoli, and prosciutto.
- Taste pasta and adjust seasoning, adding more salt if necessary; stir until ingredients are well mixed and broccoli is heated through.
- Transfer pasta to a serving platter and sprinkle panko mixture over top. Pass freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side.