Boil the Chard right along with the pasta! This recipe is from Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, bulb trimmed,halved,and thinly sliced (about 1 pound, fronds removed, minced, and 1 tablespoon reserved)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 lb bright lights chard leaves or 1 lb rainbow chard leaves, stems trimmed and leaves thoroughly washed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for passing at table
- 1Heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- 2Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté (uncovered) over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in sliced fennel bulb and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add 3/4 cup water and bring to simmer.
- 5Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until fennel is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
- 6Stir in vinegar, partially cover, and simmer to blend flavors, about 1 minute longer.
- 7Add crushed red pepper flakes and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 8Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- 9Add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt and pasta; return to boil.
- 10After 3 minutes, add chard and return to rapid boil; continue to cook, covered, until pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes.
- 11Drain pasta and greens, reserving 1/3 cup pasta cooking water.
- 12Toss pasta and greens with fennel mixture, cheese, and two tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, adding reserved pasta water as needed if mixture is dry.
- 13Transfer portions to warm pasta bowls.
- 14Garnish with reserved minced fennel fronds.
- 15Serve immediately with more cheese passed separately.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta with Braised Fennel, Chard, and Balsamic Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.7
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 452.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 21.8 g