Recipe by MsPia
This salad comes from an Italian cooking magazine called "Subito Pronto". That translates to immediately ready. (Update: after the first review I double checked the recipe and it does call for 1 cup of olive oil; it might be an error made by the magazine, I haven't try the recipe myself yet so I'm not going to change the recipe for now)
Top Review by magpie diner
I really love the use of fava beans in this dish. The sauce alone is really very tasty, could have other uses. I think something might be wrong with the olive oil quantity. I only used 1/2 a cup because 1 cup seemed like far too much. Any more oil would have made mine swimming in oily sauce. Also in the directions it doesn't mention where to add the oil, but it was fairly obvious that it would go in the blender (hope so!). In any case, very tasty, I used a 12 oz pkg of ww pasta. Next time I'd up the garlic. Thanks Pia!
- 16 ounces penne
- 20 ounces fava beans
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch fresh basil, divided
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 ounces green olives, chopped
- 4 ounces corn
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 1 ounce salmon roe
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan bring to boil 10 cups of salted water; add the fava beans and cook for 5 minutes. Drain a divide in two equal portions.
- Save one for later and put the other half in a blender with half of the fresh basil, half the olives, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until it is al dente.
- Drain and cool under cold running water. Place in a large bowl and add the fava –basil puree, mixing well until well coated.
- Then add the rest of the olives, corn and salmon, toss around and decorate with the remaining basil and salmon roe.