Recipe by AniSarit
baking with cake meal can create heavy dishes that lack the texture we get when flour is used. however, this recipe never let me down - thanks to the large amount ofeggs, it's extraordinarily light!
- 10 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons matzo cake meal
- 1 tablespoon plum brandy (slivovitz)
- 1⁄2 lb walnuts, finely ground (scant 1.5 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350degF.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch springform pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick. Add the cake meal and slivovitz. Slowly beat in the ground nuts.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff but not fry. Gently fold them into the yolk-nut mixture.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50minutes to 1 hour, until the cake has risen substantially and is lightly colored on top.
- Cool the cake on a rack. As it cools, it will deflate.
- Remove the sides of the pan.
- It is best served the day it's made.