Recipe by shell42970
I found a variation of this recipe in a Deanna House cookbook years ago, where it's called "Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes". This is my family's favorite mashed potato recipe (and several of them don't like sour cream). It's also an easy, delicious side dish to prepare a day ahead of time. I like to mix potato varieties- red and yellow works well. I also leave the skins on (for extra nutrients), but you can peel the potatoes prior to boiling them, for a creamier end result. This recipe is very easy to double for larger crowds.
Top Review by Blue Peacock
This is one of my favorite variations of mashed potatoes and it differs from the traditional recipe of using only butter. The onion powder and cream cheese give these potatoes a luscious texture and wonderful taste. Thank you for sharing.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes until tender and then drain.
- Using a potato masher, or hand mixer, mash the potatoes with the butter until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue mixing and mashing until blended throughout, with a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate.
- If serving later, reheat in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until heated through.