A new twist to a traditional Jewish dish - Serve instead of potato latkes at Chanukah, or in addition. These vegetable pancakes are beautifully colorful and very tasty. They go wonderfully with sour cream. The gluten-free rice flour mix I use is 3 cups white rice flour, 3 cups brown rice flour, 2 cups potato starch (not flour), 1 cup tapioca starch - Use just one cup of this mixture. If you can eat gluten, use just 1/2 cup of matzo meal instead.
- Peel and remove ends from parsnips and carrots.
- Grate parsnips and carrots by hand or with your food processor's grater attachment.
- Place in large bowl.
- Puree onions and garlic in food processor and add to vegetable mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Heat 1/2 inch of olive oil in a heavy pan until right before the oil's smoking point.
- Add 1/4 cup of batter at a time to the hot oil, pressing gently with the back of the spatula until each pancake is 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook until the exterior is crispy and a dark golden brown in color (approximately 2 minutes).
- Flip and cook on the second side.
- Remove with slotted spatula and place on plate lined with several layers of brown paper or paper towel.
- Serve hot.