Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Best of Gourmet, 1987...a heavenly combination of sweet root vegetables with a dash of cream and mustard. You will be able to practice your knife skills prepping this dish!
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
- In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring until it is just softened.
- Add the carrots, parsnips and season to taste.
- Stir the vegetables to coat them with the butter.
- Add the broth, bring the liquid to a simmer and cook the vegetables, covered, over moderate heat for 5-7 minutes or until they are just tender -- not mushy.
- In a small bowl stir together the mustard and the cream and stir this into the vegetables along with parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
DELISH!!!! Cut back to serve 4, so used 2 large parsnips and 2 large carrots, and 1 tbsp of cream, leaving the rest the same. This is definitely heavenly for root vegetable lovers, thanks for posting!