Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Crispy potato slices with buttery layers of Parmesan cheese make this so very desirable! Adapted from Cooking Pleasures magazine.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick (russet or Yukon gold are good)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- Heat your oven to 425*F. Stir together salt and pepper in a small bowl. Put 2 tbls. of melted butter in a 10" cast iron skillet(or nonstick) with sloping sides; swirl skillet to coat sides with butter.
- Working as quickly as possible to keep potatoes from darkening, arrange 2 layers of potato slices slightly overlapping in skillet, beginning at the outside edge and working inches Sprinkle with 1/4 of the salt mixture; drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the cheese, being careful to keep the cheese away from the sides.
- Add 2 more layers of potatoes plus another layer of the potatoes only along the outer edge to keep the top surface level. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the salt mixture. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the butter, then sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the cheese and the rosemary.
- Repeat layering the potatoes, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoons salt mixture and sprinkling 1/3 cup of the cheese and drizzle with remaining butter.
- Heat the skillet with the potatoes over medium high heat until sizzling hot. Cook an additional 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. Remove from heat; cover with foil. Lightly spray the inside surface of foil with nonstick cooking spray before covering skillet. Bake 15 minutes. Remove the foil; bake an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Run a rubber spatula along sides of the skillet to loosen potatoes. Top skillet with a platter; iinvert the potatoes onto platter. If the potatoes stick, carefully loosen with a spatula and arrange on surface. Enjoy!
- Potatoes may be made up to 4 hours ahead of serving. Invert onto baking sheet; cover and refrigerate. To serve, reheat, uncovered, at 350*F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Wonderful potatoes!!! I made approximately 1/2 of the recipe using one very large potato and I really dislike rosemary, so omitted it but added a few slices of onion for added flavor. My DS got me a mandolin for Christmas so this was the perfect recipe to try it out. This cooked perfectly during the recommended times. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for 123 Tag Game.
Amazing potatoes, Sharon! These were devoured! Note to self: be careful handling the pan when it comes out - use a pot holder. I kept forgetting and touched it twice. I made about 2/3 of the recipe - used 3 potatoes and kept the skin on, romano cheese,but kept the salt/pepper mixture and rosemary the same. I had 2 seperate layers of potatoes. Thanks, Sharon123! This recipe made it into our book#179809!
I cut this recipe in half and my DH and I loved it. Don't be scared by the length of the directions, this is really easy to put together. I would suggest you just organize all your ingredients before you start. The 2 step cooking method is easy and quick and when I put the potatoes in the oven I also put Melt-In-Your-Mouth Chicken Breasts in the oven and cooked them the same length of time. My DH commented that these potatoes would be a great company dish. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe with us Sharon123!