Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A cross between a muffin and a biscuit--very good with meals.
- nonstick cooking spray or paper baking cup
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- Position your oven rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 400°F Prepare your muffin tins by spraying the cups and the rims with nonstick cooking spray, or if using the paper cups, by dropping them inches If using the silicone pans, spray as directed and then place on baking pan.
- Whisk the flour ,cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, the sugar, baking powder, paprika, and salt in a medium until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sour cream until smooth, then whisk in the milk and oil. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the prepared flour mixture until moistened.
- Fill the prepared pans three quarters full. Use additional prepared pans for leftover batter. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of remaining grated cheese over the top of each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are pale brown with rounded, cracked tops. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into one of the muffins.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock the muffins back and forth to release. Set muffins on rack to cool for an additional 5 minutes more. If storing or freezing, let cool completely, before putting in air tight containers or freezer proof bags. These muffins will stay fresh up to 24 hours at room temperature. Or up to 1 month in the freezer.