Recipe by Lee Hock
A Creamy but pareve version of the well-known green bean casserole. Even more delicious though. I wanted to make this one day and searched the internet for a recipe, when I couldn't find it, I made up my own recipe.
Top Review by Serah B.
Excellent! Thank you for this; we served it for our first ever vegan kosher Thanksgiving this year. My husband has missed the traditional green bean casserole since we started eating a vegan diet, but he said this is spot on! You captured it perfectly!
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans
- 1 cup French-fried onions, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine over medium heat.
- add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Stir in flour. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the soy milk or non dairy creamer little by little, letting the flour-mushroom mixture absorb it.
- You should now have what looks similar to a creamy mushroom soup.
- Remove from heat and mix in garlic, salt, pepper, and green beans.
- Place in a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
- Top with French fried onions.
- Bake at 350 uncovered for 30 minutes, watch to make sure the onions on top don’t burn.