Recipe by Chef TanyaW
Recipe given to me by my MIL, it's from Everyday Indian: 100 Fast, Fresh, and Healthy Recipes by Bal Arneson. I would like to try it some time. I don't like papaya, so I'll substitute mango.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (Spanish variety)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (boneless or skinless cut in small cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup papayas or 1 cup mango, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the oil, fenugreek seeds, and asafetida in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and green chili, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the onion, and saute for 4 minutes until caramelized.
- Add the whole cumin seeds, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, paprika, and salt, and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook until almost done, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt and cook until chicken is fully done, another 2 minutes.
- Add papaya or mango chunks, and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice or with naan.