Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can use the ice cream recipe below or just add 4 cups of mashed papaya to your favorite vanilla ice cream recipe mid-way through freezing. Cooking time does not include freezing time. Made for ZWT9. From New Settlement Cookbook.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Gradually add milk, while stirring.
- Cook in double boiler for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the egg yolks very gradually while stirring, cooking until it coats the spoon.
- Add cream, egg whites, and vanilla.
- Strain out any lumps.
- Chill according to your ice cream-maker instructions.
- Half-way through chilling, add mashed papaya.
- Finsh chilling per instructions.
I love making homemade ice cream, and this flavor really piqued my interest! I followed the instructions exactly, even though I was tempted to add the mashed papaya from the beginning. The flavor is great - it reminds me of a papaya milk smoothie - on of my favorites here! But, the ice cream didn't freeze up completely and was still a bit too loose after freezing for three hours. Next time, I'll probably use a little less papaya. Made for team Gourmet Goddesses, ZWT9.