Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
When I worked for L.A. County in Canoga Park, I used to visit Fina Estampa Peruvian restaurant weekly. Their lunch special included an appetizer (usually this dish), an entree and a drink for about $7 bucks. I have been trying to mimic their Papas for 6 years! I think I have finally found it! I had to send away for the aji, but if you have a Latin market, you should be able to find it. This makes 2 batches of sauce, use one now, save one for later, or if you are feeding a crowd, double the potatoes.
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled boiled, and sliced
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 9 ounces queso ranchero (or queso casero or feta cheese)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons peruvian yellow chili paste (aji amarillo paste-very spicy!)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 -8 water crackers
- 3 -4 lettuce leaves
- black olives
- For the papas:.
- Assemble lettuce leaves on a nice plate or platter.
- Lay potato slices on top, trying to keep the round discs intact.
- For the salsa Huancaina:.
- In a blender container or food processor, place cheese, garlic, evaporated milk and aji paste, blend until smooth.
- Add 2 yolks of the hard boiled eggs, and a few water crackers.
- While blender is running, drizzle in 1 T of oil.
- Check consistency.
- It should be about the consistency of thin cake batter.
- If it needs more thickening, add more crackers and oil.
- Check seasoning, if you are using feta cheese, it might not need salt, you can also add a bit more aji if you like it spicy.
- To serve, pour sauce over potatoes and lettuce.
- Garnish with remaining 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges and black olives.
This is it! Years ago I had this when a co-worker brought it in. His wife is from Peru and I loved this dish. I seem to have missplaced the recipe she gave me and I couldn't remember the name of it! Thanx for sharing. This was perfect and I only made 2 changes. I substituted evaporated milk with half & half and used 3 T of the aji paste. I even licked my plate :P