Why throw away the rest of that good, dense loaf you picked up at the bakery the other day? This is what the Italians do with day-old (or older) bread. Simply delicious!!!
- 2 tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 -8 slices thick country bread, torn into bite-size pieces (sourdough is good - dense, bakery bread)
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic and basil.
- Drizzle with the 1/2 cup olive oil and the 3 tblsps vinegar, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Place half of the bread in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Spoon half of the tomato mixture over the bread.
- Layer the remaining bread on top and then the remaining tomato mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, toss the salad and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- If the bread seems dry, add a little oil or vinegar.
- Serve immediately.