- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 4 ounces sliced pancetta, cut into small strips (can sub with bacon)
- 1 large leek, chopped (white and light green part only)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded (can sub with swiss)
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Blindbake pie crust in 9" pan, preferably one with a removable bottom, at 400 degrees for twenty minutes or until set and light golden in color. *special tip- line crust with nonstick foil and fill crust with dried beans before baking.not necessary but makes it prettier!*.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool (remove foil and beans if you used them).
- Reduce oven to 375.
- Cook pancetta in large skillet until crisp, remove with slotted spoon to paper towels.
- Discard all but 11/2 tbs drippings.
- Add leek and sautee until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in thyme and remove from heat.
- Add pancetta to leeks and combine.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over bottom of pie shell.
- Spread pancetta/leek mixture over cheese and top with tomato slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine combine eggs, cream, half-and-half, salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over tart filling, letting it seep into it.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean and top is lightly browned.