Recipe by Vino Girl
From Fitness Magazine (July 2005), credited to Chef Debra Ponzek.
Top Review by Abba Gimel
Simply said... Excellent!!!! I had a little trouble with the pockets. I solved this by rolling the filling in the breast and securing with un-waxed floss to secure. The taste was worth the effort!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced and cleaned
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (divided)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add mushrooms and leeks; stir and cook for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with half the thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cut a small pocket in the top edge of the side of each chicken breast, but don't cut all the way through the breast.
- Fill pocket with 2-3 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture.
- Season chicken with the remaining thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken on both sides.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with the remaining mushroom-leek mixture.