Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
THis dish calls for country ham which is salt cured to be VERY cautious with any salt you want to add. This is a dish served in Charleston by many families. and can be served for breakfast or brunch.
- Pan-fry quail in butter until done, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove to plate and keep warm in 200 degree oven.
- Pan-fry country ham in butter left over from quail until done, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side remove to plate.
- Prepare grits per package direction, cook for required time.
- When grits are done, add grated cheese, salt and pepper stir well until cheese is melted.
- Add half and half, a little at a time, continuing to cook and stirring until grits are creamy.
- serve Creamy Cheese Grits on plate, arrange quail on plate. Slice country ham into thin strips and place around quail.
- Garnish with thinly-sliced green onions if desired.
- REMEMBER Ham is heavily salted so becareful of how much salt you choose to add.