Recipe by Shawn C
THis dish calls for country ham which is salt cured to be VERY cautious with any salt you want to add. This is a dish served in Charleston by many families. and can be served for breakfast or brunch.
- 8 quail
- 4 slices country ham, about 2 ounces each
- 2 green onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup grits
- water for grits, per package directions
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pan-fry quail in butter until done, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove to plate and keep warm in 200 degree oven.
- Pan-fry country ham in butter left over from quail until done, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side remove to plate.
- Prepare grits per package direction, cook for required time.
- When grits are done, add grated cheese, salt and pepper stir well until cheese is melted.
- Add half and half, a little at a time, continuing to cook and stirring until grits are creamy.
- serve Creamy Cheese Grits on plate, arrange quail on plate. Slice country ham into thin strips and place around quail.
- Garnish with thinly-sliced green onions if desired.
- REMEMBER Ham is heavily salted so becareful of how much salt you choose to add.