Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I threw this together tonight when another appy I planned to make fell through. SO fattening, but oh, my goodness, so worth it!! I served this with Mean Chef's Aioli (#54833).
- 16 ounces frozen squid rings, thawed under running water (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup flour (or less, if you think you can get away with it, just add more as you go if you start with less than)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) package panko breadcrumbs (japanese bread crumbs)
- oil, for frying
- Mix together flour, cayenne and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Feel free to add other ingredients to the flour mix if you want--any herbs or zests (like lemon) would be great.
- Put 3 eggs in a bowl (cracked, of course!) and beat lightly.
- Place panko on a plate.
- Start heating oil to med-high heat in medium-large pan on stovetop.
- Dip a few thawed calamari rings into the flour.
- Toss till coated.
- Dip flour-coated rings into the egg mixture.
- Toss flour- and egg-coated rings with Panko.
- (An easy way to do this is to have the panko in a plastic ziploc bag--and toss.) Shake off excess panko and put in preheated oil on stovetop.
- Don't crowd the pan!
- Allowing enough space between rings will ensure that they all cook evenly.
- Pan fry till panko is golden and calamari is tender.
- Don't overcook---overcooked calamari tastes like rubber!
- Serve with dipping sauces of your choice; I like Mean's Aioli (#54833).
- And then go for a run or take a nap.
- (This makes 4 servings for an appetizer, if you are looking for a substantial appy, or maybe 2-3 servings for a full meal. This is a FILLING dish).
Very Good! First time I have cooked Squid at home and we were all very pleased with these (even the kids). I used Lemon Pepper for my spice added to the flour. I think I might add more next time as the taste was a little bland. These did cook to perfect crispness, will make them again!
Wonderful recipe!. I enjoy the crisp crunch flavor of the panko breadcrumbs. I used the lemon pepper flavored panko & that adds a nice tang. Thanks. I'll continue to use this recipe as it was a big hit.