1/1 Photo of Pan-Fried Calamari Rings
I threw this together tonight when another appy I planned to make fell through. SO fattening, but oh, my goodness, so worth it!! I served this with Mean Chef's Aioli (#54833).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces frozen squid rings, thawed under running water (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup flour (or less, if you think you can get away with it, just add more as you go if you start with less than)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) package panko breadcrumbs (japanese bread crumbs)
- oil, for frying
- 1Mix together flour, cayenne and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- 2Feel free to add other ingredients to the flour mix if you want--any herbs or zests (like lemon) would be great.
- 3Put 3 eggs in a bowl (cracked, of course!) and beat lightly.
- 4Place panko on a plate.
- 5Start heating oil to med-high heat in medium-large pan on stovetop.
- 6Dip a few thawed calamari rings into the flour.
- 7Toss till coated.
- 8Dip flour-coated rings into the egg mixture.
- 9Toss flour- and egg-coated rings with Panko.
- 10(An easy way to do this is to have the panko in a plastic ziploc bag--and toss.) Shake off excess panko and put in preheated oil on stovetop.
- 11Don't crowd the pan!
- 12Allowing enough space between rings will ensure that they all cook evenly.
- 13Pan fry till panko is golden and calamari is tender.
- 14Don't overcook---overcooked calamari tastes like rubber!
- 15Serve with dipping sauces of your choice; I like Mean's Aioli (#54833).
- 17And then go for a run or take a nap.
- 18(This makes 4 servings for an appetizer, if you are looking for a substantial appy, or maybe 2-3 servings for a full meal. This is a FILLING dish).
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pan-Fried Calamari Rings
Serving Size: 1 (935 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.8
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 438.7 mg
- Sodium 853.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 32.4 g