Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very easy and tasty soup recipe.
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 29 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 thick lime slices
- Preheat oven to 400. Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips. Place on baking sheet. Bake 7-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, chop onion. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Cook chicken in pot sprayed with vegetable oil, add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir. Stir in broth, tomatoes and chilis. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Snip cilantro. Divide tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over tortillas. Grate cheese over top. Sprinkle with cilantro. Garnish each bowl with lime slice to squeeze juice into soup if desired.
Wonderful lunch soup. I made this for our PTO Cinco de Mayo teacher appreciation lunch and it was devoured. Next time I will use chicken breasts that are still on the bone as I feel that you get a richer chicken flavor. With that thought I would simmer the chicken with the spices instead of browning it, just to get a more tender result with the chicken. (I am not sure if this will produce the same results, but I will give it a try.) The lime and tortillas were a great garnish and several teacher's commented about that. Thanks for posting a wonderful recipe. Reviewed for P.A.C Spring 2008.