Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My favorite entree salad, from Palomino's Restaurants. This is attributed to Palomino Chef Gail Tronnes. Scoured to find this version, posted in the travel section of a university web site.
- 3 cups julienne-sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon julienne-sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons italian provolone cheese, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons genoa salami or 2 tablespoons wine salami
- 3 tablespoons powdered parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup julienne-sliced smoked turkey breast
- chopped tomato (to garnish)
- freshly cracked pepper
- 2 pasteurized egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups olive oil
- Make dressing in a mixing bowl. Whisk egg yolks for 2-3 minutes, then add vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk 2-3 minutes. Slowly add oil to emulsify. Refrigerate until needed.
- Combine greens, basil, provolone, garbanzos, salami in a bowl; add ½ cup dressing. Toss to combine. Add parmesan, turkey, and toss.
- Place salad on plate; top with tomato. Serve with pepper mill. The restaurant offers this as 1 large serving but with crusty bread and a cold drink it is a very nice dinner for 2. Also great side for 4-6 servings.
I needed to make a substantial salad for a potluck cause the main meal was vegetarian lasagna. I love the Palomino's here in Mpls, and I've had this salad. This was a huge hit. I served the salad ingredients build-your-own style. I included artichoke hearts, olives, pepperoncinis and toasted pine nuts. This recipe makes a boat-load of dressing, so if you want left-over it's great, otherwise cut it in half. If anyone is worried about the raw eggs, just dip the unopened eggs in boiling water for about 1 or 2 minutes and then run it under cold water right away. Use when cool.
Great salad! Fabulous dressing!
Bless you for finding this - Palominos in Seattle was a regular stop when I made it to town and this was my favorite order. How nice that I can make it at home!