Guy's Chop Chop Bread Salad
photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread, cut into medium sized cubes
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup peeled seeds, removed and diced English cucumber
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 4 tablespoons freshly julienned basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese or 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, cut in half, pitted and flesh diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread cubes on baking sheet and toast until crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, garlic, capers, parsley and basil.
- Drizzle in the vinegars, oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss again.
- Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, toss together with the toasted bread cubes.
- Gently fold in goat or Feta cheese, avocado and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is nice refreshing salad. It must be eaten right away, I had some left over and put it in the refrigerator and it was really soggy after a couple of hours. I will make this one again, with Lori mama's suggestion of "serving the bread cubes on the side and let people add as many as they want". Thanks for sharing :)
This was great!!! I doubled the recipe (this was a for a wedding shower) and it still disappeared super quick! I left out the capers due to personal taste. This salad actually travels very well (we only went 30 minutes but still) just make everything (chop the veggies, toast the bread make the dressing etc) the night before except the avocado and assemble upon arrival! This would also make a great take for lunch salad because of that! Thanks for posting! Made for Holiday Tag April 2010!
Yum! This is great, and I missed seeing this episode. I love the "Seeds" part of the ingredients. I had some fresh tomatoes coming in from our garden, so I replaced the grape tomatoes with these. Other then that, it all stayed the same, and I loved the little bread cubes and the salad was all crunchy, great, and really enjoyed this. I had blue cheese crumbles so used this in place of the feta. I really, really loved this and so glad you shared the recipe! An easy prep with great taste! made for *Everyday is a Holiday* July 2009