Hotel Condon Corn Bread
photo by PalatablePastime
- Ready In:
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, not stone-ground
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup grated Mexican blend cheese
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs. Then add the creamed corn, and melted butter. Whisk in the sugar until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Slowly add the flour mixture into the large bowl until combined. Fold in the diced chiles and cheese until combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased 10-inch round cake pan (with 3-inch walls) and smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool the bread for 15 minutes on a rack.
- Invert the bread onto a platter and drizzle with honey. Cool completely, then cut and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious corn bread! I've made this twice a week for a month or so, and I have made a few changes (not many) to adapt it to my taste. I bake in a cast iron skillet (posted pic) and bake for 35 min. I melt the butter in the skillet and whisk it into the egg and corn mixture slowly, so as not to set the eggs. Coating the pan with the residual butter gives the crust an amazing flavor and texture... I omit the green chilis, instead adding a few drops of Mexican hot sauce and a few pinches of cayenne. For the cheese I use shredded pepper jack. When it cools, I drip on some honey. THIS IS PERFECT!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org