Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a good recipe with some grilled chicken. It was adapted from a recipe by Teri Sandison.
- 4 -6 cups baby greens
- 2 papayas, slightly under ripe
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 2 ounces rice noodles (Asian)
- 2 cups oil, flavourless
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- Heat oven to 325°.
- Peel papaya, cut in half and scoop& discard seeds.
- Cut flesh into about 1/2-inch cubes.
- Spread pine nuts on tray and toast until light golden about 8 minutes.
- Place the rice sticks into a large bag and separate into small bundles (the bag keeps things from getting messy).
- Place the oil in a wok over med heat until the end of a rice stick expands immediately, when put in the oil.
- Add a small bundle of rice sticks till the moment they expand about 3 seconds, turn them over with tongs cook other side 3 seconds, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining rice sticks.
- Store in a paper bag at room temperature.
- Place the lettuce greens and papaya in a very large mixing bowl; whisk the dressing and pour over and toss until evenly mixed.
- Gently fold in the rice sticks trying to keep them as large as possible.
- Transfer salad to dinner plates, sprinkle on the nuts and shake a little nutmeg over each salad.
This is a terrific recipe...lots of different flavors in one dish! I made this exactly as Latchy wrote it, substituting nothing. I did cut it down to 2 servings to accomodate my husband and me. I'll do this one again and will also use the dressing for other uses. Thanks Latchy, great recipe!