Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This dish is great for breakfast or brunch because it can be made the night before and baked just before you plan to serve it.
- 2 teaspoons corn oil margarine
- 1 cup sliced white mushroom
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 16 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1⁄2 lb lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 2 anaheim chilies, seeds removed and diced
- 1⁄2 lb reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, crushed
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring, until just slightly tender, 2 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non stick vegetable spray.
- Place 8 of the bread slices in the prepared dish.
- Layer half of the mushrooms and the onions, bacon, celery, and chilies on top of the bread and finish with half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and dill.
- Repeat the bread layer and the remaining half of the ingredients as above but add the tomato slices before the cheese.
- Thoroughly mix the egg substitute, eggs, milk and mustard and pour into the dish.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, allow the strata to stand at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the strata, uncovered, until bubbly and lightly browned, 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
5 stars for sure. I used jalapeno peppers (3) finely chopped without seeds, Canadian peameal bacon, (precooked and chopped) and 1 1/2 Tbls. Italian seasoning instead of the dill. Everyone loved it and asked for seconds. Prep time is well worth it! Absolutely delicious.