1 hr 45 mins
This dish is great for breakfast or brunch because it can be made the night before and baked just before you plan to serve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons corn oil margarine
- 1 cup sliced white mushroom
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 16 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1/2 lb lean bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 anaheim chilies, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 lb reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, crushed
- 1 large tomato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1Melt the margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring, until just slightly tender, 2 minutes.
- 3Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non stick vegetable spray.
- 4Place 8 of the bread slices in the prepared dish.
- 5Layer half of the mushrooms and the onions, bacon, celery, and chilies on top of the bread and finish with half of the cheese.
- 6Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and dill.
- 7Repeat the bread layer and the remaining half of the ingredients as above but add the tomato slices before the cheese.
- 8Thoroughly mix the egg substitute, eggs, milk and mustard and pour into the dish.
- 9Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 10Before baking, allow the strata to stand at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Bake the strata, uncovered, until bubbly and lightly browned, 45 minutes.
- 13Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Overnight Strata
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.9
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 710.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
corn oil margarine