Mushroom, Bacon, and Swiss Strata
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 12 ounces ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 7 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 (8 ounce) packages pre-sliced mushrooms
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 8 center-cut bacon, slices cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange bread in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until toasted. Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates and vegetables are tender. Add onion mixture to bread; toss well to combine. Arrange half of bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of cheese and half of bacon; top with remaining bread mixture, cheese, and bacon.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove strata from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake strata, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Californian, born in the Los Angeles area, college in far northern California and now living in southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I love kids and animals. I am an active volunteer at my two teenage daughters' high school as well as a Girl Scout leader. We have two guinea pigs, one Dalmatian, one cockatiel, and one quarter-horse to keep us busy. I had a career as a marketing writer before I became a full-time mom and volunteer, but I still write all the time as well as participate in a monthly book club. I stay active and have Jazzercized for over 25 years on a regular basis. I also am trying to do some yoga now and ride horses for fun. I have loved getting involved in the RecipeZaar games and learning how to post the photos. I am currently playing on the Zaar World Tour and it is lots of fun! Have been a sports fan since childhood and definitely have enjoyed getting to know about hockey since we have a very successful NHL franchise in our area: Go Sharks! <img src="http://static.flickr.com/1310/902139984_71e1ab56a5.jpg" width="399" height="270"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551"> <img src="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif" width="300" height="220"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/400035_d7f1b969-m3_1217872626.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/de.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/123hitwonders.jpg" width="399" height="150"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/holiday-tag2-copy.gif" width="399" height="140"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"width="290" height="140"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap">