- 3 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 slices challah or 8 slices dense bakery bread, 1 inch thick,cut on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- pure maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together zest, juice, sugar, vanilla, triple sec, eggs, half-and-half, and a pinch of salt.
- Arrange bread slices in one layer in a 13 X 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Pour mixture over bread, turning slices to coat, and chill, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F and brush a large baking pan with butter.
- Using a slotted spatula arrange bread in one layer on baking pan, leaving atleast 2 inches between each slice and bake in middle of oven 5 minutes.
- Rotate pan and bake 5 minutes more.
- Rotate pan again and bake until bread is puffed and golden, about 5 minutes more.
- Make sauce while bread is baking: Cook butter, marmalade and triple sec over low heat, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Drizzle French toast with sauce and serve with syrup, if desired.