This coffeecake is best when served warm. Try drizzling it with a thin powdered sugar frosting before serving. Recipe found in a local newspaper.
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (or pecans)
- Mix flours, oats, baking powder, soda, salt, flax seed meal and 1 tsp cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix granulated sugar, oil, 1/4 cup brown sugar and egg. Mix in buttermilk and flour mixture. Fold in apples.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch greased baking pan.
- For topping, combine remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, walnuts and 1 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Cover with foil and put in refrigerator until next morning.
- Uncover and let stand about 30 minutes.
- Bake 30 minutes in a 350°F oven.
- Serve warm.