Recipe by Dudemickgal
Top Review by shana.e.martin
This is soooooooooo good!!!!! I made it for Thanksgiving breakfast and my family requested I make it again for Christmas breakfast. I made cinnamon apples (fresh) instead of the canned pie filling but either works. I can see this being extra quick and easy with the pie filling, but I don't mind taking the extra time to bake my cinnamon appples. This French toast turns out so yummy- the apples caramelize in the oven and squish between the bread layers- I'm drooling just thinking about it. Only thing I would question is 15 servings - we can't get enough of this so we eat it in about 8 servings. :)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 20 slices white bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9x13 inches baking pan.
- In sm. bowl, stir together first 3 ingredients.
- Spread sugar mixture into bottom of pan.
- Spread pie filling evenly over sugar.
- Layer bread slices on top of filling, pressing down as you go.
- In med. bowl, beat egg with milk and vanilla.
- Slowly pour over bread, making sure it is completely absorbed.
- Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place covered pan in oven and bake for 60-75 minutes.
- When done remove from oven and turn on broiler.
- Remove foil and drizzle syrup on top of egg mixture; broil 2 min, or until syrup begins to caramelize.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 min, then cut into squares.
- Invert pan onto serving tray so apple filling is on top.
- Serve hot.