Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a healthier way to make fried eggplant. I think it tastes as good as the old deep-fried way. Use these to make Italian Eggplant or any other recipes that calls for it. Makes great Eggplant Grinders or just to pick up and eat with your fingers with a little salt.
Top Review by Big D Texas
These were GREAT, fast and so easy. DH loved them. I just used Egg Beaters instead of egg whites. I also used a product called "Oven Fried" that I use on chicken. Next time I am going to try it using Stove Top crumbs (I always have those on hand. I just put them in my food processor and they are really flavorful. Much more so that typical breadcrumbs. ) I never knew how easy this could be, or that there was just a great way to use eggplant.............AND it is even good for you! I will certainly make these often.
- 2 medium eggplants (peeled)
- 2 egg whites (beaten)
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- tad garlic salt or garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a baking sheet generously with cooking spray,.
- Mix the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic salt together.
- Peel eggplant and slice about 1/4" thick.
- Dip in beaten egg whites and then in the crumb mixture.
- Put on baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes or till done.