Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From EatingWell,com: November/December 2011, Eating Well One-Pot Meals -- This Asian barbecued chicken made in a casserole dish is truly finger-licking good! You can make this with 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 12 ounces each) instead of thighs and drumsticks, if you prefer. Remove the skin (if desired) and cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to get 4 portions about equal in weight.
- 1 bunch scallion
- 59.14 ml hoisin sauce
- 14.79 ml reduced sodium soy sauce
- 14.79 ml minced fresh ginger
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml Asian chili sauce (such as Sriracha, or to taste)
- 1.23 ml Chinese five spice powder (see TIPS BELOW)
- 14.79-29.58 ml honey (optional)
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds total, trimmed, remove skin if desired)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (1-1 1/4 pounds total ~ trimmed)
- 7.39 ml toasted sesame seeds (see TIPS BELOW)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar-size) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Thinly slice 1/4 cup scallion greens; set aside.
- Mince the scallion whites. Whisk the scallion whites, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, five-spice powder, and honey (OPTIONAL) in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Arrange the chicken in an even layer in the prepared baking dish, meatier-side down. Pour any remaining sauce from the bowl over the chicken.
- Bake, turning once halfway so the meatier side is up, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, about 1 hour.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and top with any remaining sauce from the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and the reserved scallion greens.
- Chinese five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section of the supermarket, or with other Asian ingredients.
- Sesame seeds can be toasted in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Delicious! And so easy. Only change I made was using all thighs instead of half drumsticks. Great flavor and lots of juices to drizzle on the steamed rice. I recommend using the optional honey, because it adds a lot of flavor.
I used 7 drumsticks cooking for 3 but only ended up with 2 of us eating so have 3 left over and will see how the meat goes in sandwiches. Unfortunately I didn't have sesame seeds and also next time I will double the sauce as after cooking for 45 minutes at 170C fan forced I ended up with no sauce in the pan but the flavour of the chicken was superb and I served with a veggie packed Microwave Fried Rice. Thank you Kerfuffle-Upon-Winkle, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
WHOA baby, this was AMAZING! I used boneless skinless chicken breasts (done in about 35 minutes), added the honey > YUM and used black sesame seeds. Super EZ and super DELISH! I wouldn't change a things. Served with steamed rice and grilled pineapple slices.