1/3 Photos of Oven-Barbecued Asian Chicken
1 hr 20 mins
From EatingWell,com: November/December 2011, Eating Well One-Pot Meals -- This Asian barbecued chicken made in a casserole dish is truly finger-licking good! You can make this with 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 12 ounces each) instead of thighs and drumsticks, if you prefer. Remove the skin (if desired) and cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to get 4 portions about equal in weight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch scallion
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as Sriracha, or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (see TIPS BELOW)
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds total, trimmed, remove skin if desired)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (1-1 1/4 pounds total ~ trimmed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (see TIPS BELOW)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar-size) baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Thinly slice 1/4 cup scallion greens; set aside.
- 3Mince the scallion whites. Whisk the scallion whites, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, five-spice powder, and honey (OPTIONAL) in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Arrange the chicken in an even layer in the prepared baking dish, meatier-side down. Pour any remaining sauce from the bowl over the chicken.
- 4Bake, turning once halfway so the meatier side is up, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, about 1 hour.
- 5Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and top with any remaining sauce from the baking dish.
- 6Sprinkle with sesame seeds and the reserved scallion greens.
- 8Chinese five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section of the supermarket, or with other Asian ingredients.
- 9Sesame seeds can be toasted in a small dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-Barbecued Asian Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 381.9
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 138.5 mg
- Sodium 531.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Asian chili sauce
Chinese five spice powder