For a little extra flavor add in a couple tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the mixture, or sprinkle on before baking.
- 6 -8 slices bacon, diced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon rubbed sage (can use 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- seasoned salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix (approx. 9-10 cups, more or less) or 1 (16 ounce) packagefresh bread, cubed very small, mixed with coarse bread crumbs (approx. 9-10 cups, more or less)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery leaves (from the top of celery stalks)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove and drain on paper towel; reserve 2 tbsp of drippings.
- Add in the celery and onion in drippings and cook until tender (adding in the chopped garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking time).
- Add mushrooms, sage, seasoned salt and pepper; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in stuffing, or prepared bread crumbs, celery leaves, parsley and bacon; mix well.
- Combine eggs and broth; add to stuffing mixture and mix well.
- Spread into prepared baking dish, (dish will be full).
- Dot with melted butter.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer, or until lightly browned.