Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional prepared risotto with orzo. Comes out very flavorful and creamy. Great side dish.
Make and share this Orzo and Mushroom Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, kept hot in a saucepan
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons additional butter
- In a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat melt butter with oil and sauté mushrooms and onions until tender, remove from heat.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and butter. Once the oil is hot and the butter is melted, add the orzo and stir until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. Add the wine, stir, and cook to deglaze the pan.
- Once the wine has nearly evaporated, add the mushrooms, onions and 1 cup of the stock, stirring constantly until the stock is absorbed by the orzo, about 10 minutes, repeat 1 cup of stock at a time stirring constantly and add the salt, and white pepper with last cup. When the last cup of stock is absorbed stir in the butter and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
This was wonderful! I used a lot more mushrooms tha what was called for and sliced green onions (just because I had some on hand I wanted to use up). The flavor was great, I will definitely make this again - thank you for posting!
LIght yet still creamy! I made it all in the 12 inch skillet toasting the orzo when the mushrooms and onions were nearly tender. One less pot to clean up! Served this with grilled chicken...and will be making this again! Thanks!