Ham & Mushroom Risotto
photo by Jenny Sanders
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 6 cups ham stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, peeled &,minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large mushrooms, minced
- 6 large dried shiitake mushrooms, crumbled
- 2 cups arborio rice or 2 cups carnaroli rice
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 zucchini, grated (optional)
- salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- Clean and prepare all the vegetables.
- Heat the stock to a simmer and infuse the crumbled saffron in it.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a very large skillet.
- Saute the minced shallots, celery and the mushrooms.
- Add the rice and continue sauteing until the rice is opaque.
- If it browns slightly, that's fine.
- Add 1/2 cup hot stock and stir frequently until the broth is absorbed.
- Continue adding broth as it is absorbed, stirring frequently, until the rice is tender and all the liquid absorbed.
- If you run out of stock before the rice is done you may add a little hot water.
- This will take 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the age of your rice.
- Newer rice cooks more quickly.
- If you wish to add the zucchini, put it in about 5 minutes before you think the rice will be done.
- Check for salt; I use a smoked but unsalted ham and so I need to add some, but if your ham or ham stock is salted, you are unlikely to need any.
- When the rice is tender, stir in the Parmesan and the parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent taste! I cut the recipe in half since our youngest 2 are small eaters but it still made a very nice amount. I did need to add a bit of extra water...but it helped to cut the saltiness from the ham. Thanks for the note about newer/older rice! Also, I looked for when to add the ham...maybe I'm blind today (not a surprise!) but I didn't see when to add. I added it in the middle...because that's when I got around to cutting it up! 4 thumbs up here--4 people, 1 each! And 5 stars too...easy, common ingredients, tasty! Thank you!