Recipe by Japanese Delight
This is one of the tastiest ways to perpare broccoli (for a side dish, leave out the pasta). Don't let the anchovies scare you: because they're chopped so fine they melt into the sauce, leaving just a hint of briny flavor that's a perfect complement to the herby broccoli.
Top Review by Acerast
A tasty way to enjoy broccoli and a very nice change from our family's standby pasta dish. It was also very quick so is perfect for an after work meal. I used gemelli pasta as I could not find orecchiette - it worked well. Thanks Japanese Delight.
- 1 head broccoli, cut into large chunks (4 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups orecchiette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1 lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Over hight heat, bring a large saucepan filled with salted water to a boil: add broccoli and cook 5 minute or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer broccoli to a cutting board; chop finely.
- Bring the water back to a boil.
- Meanwhile, on a clean portion of the cutting board, mince and mash garlic, pepper flakes, anchovy fillets and salt together.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to the package directions; drain.
- While pasta cooks, in a large skillet over med. heat, cook garlic mixture in oil for 2 minute until fragrant and slightly golden.
- Add broccoli and chicken broth and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Drain pasta well and add to broccoli mixture.
- Add cheese and spritz with lemon; toss to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.