Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick creamy satisfying soup stuffed with lots of veggies. I was not sure whether or not my kids would eat it, but I was pleasantly surprised when one of them ate a full bowl on his own. This uses orange puree (pureed cooked carrots and sweet potatoes) and pre-pureed white beans (I puree them in bulk for speed), but those could also be added un-pureed if needed. I use half a bag of frozen broccoli and pick out the stalks (using the flourets in a different recipe), but fresh broccoli or cauliflower would work equally well. Since I have all the purees pre-made in my fridge, this was a very quick soup to put together with minimal kitchen mess. This has a distinct orange color when I make it, in part because the vegetable stock I use is very orange.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup pureed white beans (cannalini or navy)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 teaspoon bouquet garni or 1 teaspoon similar herb seasoning mix
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- kosher salt
1/4 cup orange puree
- pureed sweet potato, and
- In a large soup pot, saute the onions in olive oil. Add flour and stir. Cook, stirring, for about a minute to cook the flour.
- Add the orange puree (sweet potatoes and carrots), white beans, broccoli, herbs, and vegetable broth. Stir to scrape the stuff off the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until broccoli is soft and tender.
- Remove from heat. Add the milk and cheddar cheese. Stir.
- Use an immersion blender, food processor, or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You may need to do this in batches.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed to suit your taste.