Recipe by stormylee
The fresh orange slices and the sweet, smooth orange-flavoured sabayon work very well together!
- 6 oranges
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons citrus liqueur
- 100 ml sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 1 orange, rind of, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash oranges with hot water, scrubbing well.
- Grate 1 ts of zest from one orange; cut the peel of another orange into fine julienne strips.
- Cook the orange julienne: measure sugar, water and orange strips into a saucepan and simmer until liquid has evaporated. Arrange orange strips on baking parchment in swirls and allow to cool.
- Juice one orange (you should get about 100 ml of juice). Peel and slice the remaining five oranges and also remove all the white pith and membranes surrounding the slices.
- Now make the orange sauce: place egg yolks, orange juice, grated zest and sugar on top of a double boiler. Heat gently and whip until the mixture is thick and pale yellow, and tiny bubbles form. Remove from heat.
- Add liqueur and vanilla sugar and keep whisking until the mixture has cooled down. Keep sauce in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, whip whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into orange sauce.
- Divide orange slices between dessert bowls and spoon orange mousse on top. Garnish with orange julienne swirls.