Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from a recipe site a couple of years ago.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 dash salt
- 4 -6 tablespoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 375°F Grease and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans. Cream butter and sugar. Add orange peel. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine the water and orange juice. Add to creamed mixture, alternating with dry ingredients, beating well after each addition. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold into batter. Pour into prepared cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes on racks. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely. When cool, spread with filling and frosting.
- For Filling: In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, orange rind and salt. Gradually blend in orange juice, water and egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted. Cool before spreading between cake layers.
- For Frosting: Cream the butter. Add the confectioner's sugar, orange rind, salt and 4 tablespoons of juice. Beat until spreading consistency, adding more juice if needed. Spread on sides and top of cake.