Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
--Adopted Recipe-- Changes from Original: Increased the ginger from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon, so the orange flavor would not overpower the ginger; substituted baby cut carrots for the whole carrots; changed yield from six to four servings to allow for more generous servings. Preparation time includes slicing carrots, and cooking the sauce on top of the stove, and "cooking time" is standing time at the end.
- 3⁄4 lb baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice each baby carrot into 2 or 3 pieces, then place in a 1 quart casserole dish with 1/4 cup water; cover and cook on high power 10 minutes or until tender.
- While carrots are cooking, combine sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and ginger in a small saucepan; add orange juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Cook 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in butter.
- If there is any water left in the carrots, pour it off, then pour sauce over carrots, tossing to coat evenly.
- Cover and let stand 4 to 5 minutes before serving.