Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
--Adopted Recipe-- Changes from Original: Increased the ginger from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon, so the orange flavor would not overpower the ginger; substituted baby cut carrots for the whole carrots; changed yield from six to four servings to allow for more generous servings. Preparation time includes slicing carrots, and cooking the sauce on top of the stove, and "cooking time" is standing time at the end.
- 3⁄4 lb baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- Slice each baby carrot into 2 or 3 pieces, then place in a 1 quart casserole dish with 1/4 cup water; cover and cook on high power 10 minutes or until tender.
- While carrots are cooking, combine sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and ginger in a small saucepan; add orange juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Cook 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in butter.
- If there is any water left in the carrots, pour it off, then pour sauce over carrots, tossing to coat evenly.
- Cover and let stand 4 to 5 minutes before serving.
more orange flavored than ginger
I up the ginger a little, since that flavor is popular around here! I also steam the carrots instead of microwave them - still very easy. Any ideas what to serve with this, as far as chicken and fish dishes?
I really liked this recipe and so did my kids which is bonus. Anything that makes them eat carrots is ok in my book. Very simple and tasty we had it with pork tenderloin, nice addition