Easy Butter Cookies
Taken from my cookie favorites folder. If you are using unsalted butter then increased the salt to 1/2 teaspoon. The dough can be prepared up to 4 days in advance and refrigerated or freeze up to 1 month. Yield is only estimated depending on how large you slice the dough.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (can use 1 teaspoon vanilla in place of almond)
- In a bowl sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Using an electric mixer beat butter until creamy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and extract; beat until well combined.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until mixture forms a dough.
- Divide the mixture in two pieces.
- Roll into a log then wrap in wax paper.
- Chill logs until very firm (about 4 hours) or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Set oven to 375° (middle oven rack).
- Remove one roll at a time from fride and slice into about 1/4-inch slices, working fast as the dough warms quickly and will be harder to slice (slice smaller or larger if desired).
- Place the slices on a lightly-buttered baking sheet spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden around the edges (do not over bake).
- Remove to a rack to cool slighty, then coat in sugar.