Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chocolate and orange are great together.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 oranges, rind of, grated
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- Heat milk in double boiler.
- Caramelize 1 cup sugar in deep heavy saucepan.
- Stir in orange juice and hot milk.
- Stir in remaning sugar and orange rind.
- Cook, stirring often,to soft ball stage.
- Remove from heat and add margarine.
- When cool, beat until creamy and stir in nuts.
- Pour outon greased platter and cut into squares.
I think you caramelized it to long.It should be light brown.Cooking to soft ball stage on a candy themometer is about 237 degrees.
I'm sorry this did not work out for me. The sugar on caramelising became stone hard and I added in the hot milk and orange juice. What resulted was orange coloured stone like hard sugar stuck together. If you could explain a few things: what is soft ball stage, upto when to caramelise, I wouldn't mind trying this once more. Sorry again.