Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love the combination of any fruit flavor with chocolate. These are super, unique cookies and they are pretty easy to make. Only makes 3 dozen, so you may want to double the recipe :)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and beat at low speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and orange rind and beat well.
- Combine flour and salt and add to cream mixture; beating well.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls on to cookies sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges just begin to brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
Apparently I forgot to rate these after I made them, months ago. Sorry! These were very easy to make and were a big hit at the outdoor function that we brought them to. They have a wonderful texture and a subtle orange flavor that really goes well with the chocolate. Thanks for another great recipe, Karen!
Like other reviewers stated I changed this recipe a bit. First of all I used zest from entire orange! Secondly I increased the flour to 1 1/2 cup and lastly I used a full bag of chocolate chips. Like other people stated the cookie dose not bake brown but stays this odd looking blond color. The bottom browned quite nicely and as a result I only baked them for 10 minutes a at a time. They came out very flavorful. Putting it in my keep file as I will be making these again!
I just love this site! I baked these cookies tonight and I couldn't wait to tell everyone how good they are. I only made a single batch and my husband ate so many of them I made another right away. So yes, double the recipe. You'll know why when you eat one. They are heavenly good!