Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Bread pudding with a twist
- 3 slices bread, cubed
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange rind, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream, to serve
- Soak bread cubes in milk for 10 minutes.
- Add orange juice and rind, egg yolks, sugar and salt. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour into well buttered 4-cup oven-proof dish or, 4 well buttered individual moulds, dot with butter and place in a roasting tin with hot water to come halfway up the sides.
- Bake in mod. hot oven 190 C for 45 minutes or 30 minutes for individual ones, or until the tip of a knife inserted 1 inches in from outside edge comes away clean.
- Chill and serve with whipped cream.
- Unmould the individual puddings.
- Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.
This was quite good, very refreshing taste. I think I'd add a dash of cinnamon and maybe some raisins next time.